These six-word stories were prompted by the Page Flutter Six-Word Story Challenge. The background was made many years ago using 3D modelling software Bryce. My Mac (un)reliably informs me that I created the image in 1970. Okay. Sure. I’d put it a little closer to 2002 but what do I know?
1. The vine carelessly embraced the statue.
2. Stone cold, impatient for the thaw.
3. Sugar rush, headlong into sweet surrender.
4. A Bloody Mary without tomatoes? Ew!
5. Ding dong. Wake up, sleepy head!
6. Mrs. Bones didn’t believe in leftovers.
7. The cellar felt safe and warm.
[October prompts: creeper, stone cold, sugar rush, Bloody Mary, ding dong, Mrs. Bones, the cellar.]
Reflections on a Lily Pond series – final paintings
I’ve been on one of my painting journeys over the last few weeks, revisiting Sparkle and Shine, a landscape (pondscape?) from 2013.
WIP#1 – works in progress – underpainting and figuring out the composition
WIP #1 I started with black canvases and used intense colours for the underpainting because I wanted the lily pads to really stand out against the blue-black water.
WIP#2 – adding colour
WIP #2 Then I painted green over the pink and yellow over the purple. Lighter blue ‘sparkle’ shapes were introduced to the water.
WIP#3 – the final touches
WIP #3 The final stage included adding touches of pink for the highlights.
I’m going to wait a week or so for them to dry properly, varnish them (because I think reflections should be glossy and I want the water to look deliciously dark and deep), and then these four new paintings will be available on Etsy.
These six-word stories were prompted by the Page Flutter Six-Word Story Challenge. I’m also posting a few favourites on Instagram. The ‘Earthquake’ background is a student project from way back in 2010 when I was studying graphic design.
17. Another pep talk? Don’t force it!
18. Some days, progress felt like failure.
19. Never did crack the dress code.
20. They changed their luck through perseverance.
21. Fresh ink, well of midnight ramblings.
22. A power play? Hamlet or Macbeth?
23. Misdirection: down the rabbit hole again.
[September prompts: pep talk, progress, dress code, changed luck, fresh ink, power play, misdirection.]