This ‘Love Birds’ design was originally created for a student project in 2011. It was part of a boutique brewery branding campaign (yes, really) and was inspired by the textiles of William Morris. With a few minor tweaks and new text, it is now a quirky little art print.
Below are some of the original images that I created for the completely fictional Old Mill Brewers. The idea behind the campaign was that the brewery was located in a converted textile mill, a sophisticated venue where boutique beer is savoured like good wine. As well as coming up with the name of the brewery and designing the logo and bottle labels…
…I also invented the six flavours: Red House (pilsner), Honey (lager), Vanilla (pale ale), Spice (witbier), Black Cherry (porter) and Chocolate (stout). Yum!
I even added the bird logo to the barcode on the back of the labels : ) It really was one of my favourite projects (as you can probably tell).
I’m not sure how much I’ll be posting on WordPress over the next few weeks…
James (husband, best friend, bandmate etc.) and I have a regular gig now, playing covers at a local bar & eatery, and so I’m taking a bit of time out to update our website, social media, set lists and such. It’s very exciting and definitely comes under “careful what you wish for”. We haven’t ‘gigged’ seriously for three years ~ apart from open mics and house parties ~ and now suddenly we will be playing every weekend. Eeep! We played our first gig at Lu Lu’s a couple of weeks ago and had an absolute blast!
It just goes to show that you’re never too old to have a dream come true! : )
P.S. Yes, art will still be happening… once I get my head around the music side of things. In fact I had a bit of fun stencilling our name on to a road case…
P.P.S. If you want to read more about our band, I wrote about it here a few years ago and we have a blog here which I’ve just finishing updating with new videos.
My final project for 2018 was this logo and business card design for a small arboriculture company in Auckland.
The logo was hand-drawn and then tidied up in Affinity Photo. I wanted the letters to retain an ‘organic’ quality and so I resisted the temptation to turn it into a black and white vector image.
The tree-line sketch (or, if you prefer, tree line-sketch) was drawn in black ink. I painted over some areas to boost the shadows and highlights prior to scanning. I then edited the trees (ever so slightly) to ensure that the tree heights looked good underneath the text.
As well as the pine/light brown colour, we also considered green and blue. Happily, the client went with pine brown which not only fits the brand identity beautifully, it also enables the finer details of the drawn elements to really stand out (the other colours were significantly darker when printed). And even though I was working on this right up until Christmas, I didn’t mind one bit because it just seemed so wonderfully 🌲🎄🌲 seasonally appropriate : )