Framing the view

Anna-Cull-Framing-the-View-2015
Framing the view — acrylic on canvas, 190 x 480 mm, 2015. Private collection.

‘The View’ is a little something I made for this year’s Christmas market at Sumner.* The painting is of our beautiful Kaikoura coastline as seen from the Port Hills in Christchurch. I found a $5 frame at a recycling depot, removed the seriously ugly dried flower art that was in it, and painted a landscape on canvas to complement the mahogany-coloured wood (see photograph below). It was such a fun project, I may have to go in search of more frames that need rescuing.

*I’ll be selling my art cards and a few of my smaller paintings at the Sumner Market in Christchurch this coming Sunday 13th and also Sunday 20th December, 10 am – 2 pm.

Framing 'The View'
Framing ‘The View’

What’s the buzz?

My little bee bag
My little bee bag

Last month I wrote a post about the wonderful bag that I designed and Sandra made for me. I actually ended up designing TWO bags (quite by accident). The first bag was lined with this lovely bee fabric (it used to be a pencil skirt). The vibrant, lime green lining is the most beautiful raw silk. Thank you, Sandra. It’s bee-utiful.

Anna Cull Bee bag

Self-portrait in progress

Anna Cull Work in progress

Here is a little something I’ve been experimenting with as a way of making use of an old (vintage 1970s), much loved and sadly threadbare tea towel.

Work in progress #1 – using gel medium as a glue, I covered a piece of artboard with the teatowel to make a linen canvas
Work in progress #1 – using gel medium as a glue, I made a linen canvas by covering an artboard with the tea towel (I have enough fabric left over to make another canvas)
Work in progress #2 – I began painting with acrylics thinned with polymer medium and used a photo of myself as a child for reference
Work in progress #2 – I began painting with acrylics thinned with polymer medium and used an old photo of myself as a reference
Work in progress#3 – I continued to build up the layers with thicker, more opaque acrylics to unify the different elements
Work in progress #3 – I continued to build up the layers with thicker, more opaque acrylics to unify the different elements

I’ll post the finished painting tomorrow.